Butcher block tables blend beauty and functionality into any kitchen. It adds warmth and natural coloring for your home interior. This sturdy table is not only for sharing meals, but it also can be used as food preparation. Because butcher block table is made from natural wood, it is important to perform routine maintenance on its tops to prevent the wood from drying and cracking, and also to kill existing bacteria. If it is maintained properly, butcher block tables will become a long lasting and durable choice for your home furniture.
However, the wood of table top is not heat or stain resistant. It can swell and shrink in extreme dry or humid condition, which may cause the wood cracking. Excessive wet also make the butcher block table tops susceptible to rot and discoloration. Thus, It does require some maintenance.
- Use lemon juice to clean the table top. Cut a lemon in half and rub it over the entire surface. It will clean the table and eliminate any odors from food preparation.
- Do not cut raw meat or poultry directly on butcher block table top as contaminants can be absorbed into the wood.
- Cutting directly on a butcher block table can cause your knife to score the wood.
- Scrape and clean the surfaces of your butcher block table top immediately after using.
- Dry and remove water from every side of the butcher block completely using a clean, soft dish rag or towel.
- Treat your butcher block with natural food-grade mineral oil once per week to keep the wood moist and to prevent it from drying or cracking. However, avoid using cooking oil to treat butcher block; it can damage the wood
- Just before oiling, remove scratches, burns, and other surface damages with fine sandpaper